The Appalachian Heritage Writers Symposium is directed by a committee comprised of faculty and staff members from Southwest Virginia Community College, members of the Appalachian Authors Guild and Associates, faculty from Concord University and community members from southwest Virginia as well as northeast Tennessee. If you are interested in serving, the committee welcomes your thoughts, ideas and energy and will take all into consideration.
Since its inception, the Appalachian Heritage Writers Symposium has received both monetary and in-kind support from individuals and various businesses and organizations. Those who support the symposium are recognized not only on the symposium program but also through advertising and at the symposium banquet.
For the 2012 symposium we had 27 sponsors for various writing awards as well as sponsors for other related monetary needs for the symposium. Our corporate sponsor, Dominion Power and Resources, funded a grant to help with scholarships to keep down the registration fees for all attendees.
Without the support and assistance of our yearly co-sponsors of the symposium we would not be able to bring the symposium to our region at such a reasonable rate for our attendees. They are as follows:
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Appalachian Authors Guild, A Chapter of the Virginia Writers Club
- Virginia Writers Club
- Dominion Power and Resources
- Tazewell Historical Society
- Lost State Writers Guild
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Numerous Individuals and Anonymous Donors
If you are interested in helping to support the symposium, here are some sponsorship ideas to consider:
- one or more writing awards (Youth $25, $50, $125) (Adult $50, $100, $250)
- a meal or refreshments during the symposium – (breakfast, lunch or drinks for breaks, etc. averaging $25 to $50 per participant)
- the printing and/or distribution of the programs for the symposium $100
- a workshop $250
- the keynote $1000 to $2000
- advertising $100 to $200
There are numerous ways to help and we welcome your assistance. If you are interested in any of these sponsorships or have an idea of your own please contact either Darrell Fleming at email@example.com or Trish Estepp at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to give you more detailed information.
Southwest Virginia Community College is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organizations. Gifts made may be tax deductible under the guidelines set by the IRS.
Donations to the Symposium are to be made payable to the SWCC Foundation and sent to:
Pauline Taylor AHWS King Community Center Southwest Virginia Community College P.O. Box SVCC Richlands, VA 24641